General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

getting leaner??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting leaner??

So I got tuned about 5 weeks ago and was at 13.1 or so at WOT, then a few weeks later I was seeing 13,5ish...no it will creep up to 13.8 and even up to 14. I have a dynojet wideband and it seems pretty accurate. I also can even smell the car running leaning after a good wot run. What the hell can cause this. I have a 255 pump that has maybe 1k miles on it, if that. Could that be going out, or maybe the filters for it are clogging. Also, could my fuel filter need to be replaced. I dont know how long its gone with being replaced so Im gonna change that out and see what happens. I also changed the plugs and it was still geting lean. If the fuel filter changed doesnt do anything I will look at the pump...Im just confuesed on this and a little worried. Im about to spray the car but not with it being this lean. Any other ideas..??
Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Even though you're tuned the PCM still has the ability to lean you out based on RPM and Coolant Temp at WOT. Your wide band is very sensitive and picks this up quickly.
Who knows you may very well be running lean. Plugging fuel filter, injectors, or your wideband may be picking up an exhaust leak. All things to consider.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

I was just thinking about maybe a injector isnt working aswell as the others. I dont have a exhaust leak, I looked for that too. Would going to a colder t stat help out you think?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99WS7
I was just thinking about maybe a injector isnt working aswell as the others. I dont have a exhaust leak, I looked for that too. Would going to a colder t stat help out you think?
If you have an underlying problem it would be best to fix that first. To answer your question, however, it depends on the tune, but yes as a general rule of thumb our cars are programmed to go richer with colder engine temps even at WOT.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

hmm, well yeah Id like to fix this before I attempt to just use a band aid method and make something else fix it.