General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cooling fan not working, fuse relay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cooling fan not working, fuse relay?

My cooling fan (electric radiator fans) are not kicking in on my 96' Z28. They do not turn on at all. So my car is over heating in heavy traffic. I'm just in the process of eliminating possibilities and the first to come up is a fuse or fuse relays. It is possible that this could be a fuse relay related problem. In the owners manual diagram of the fuse box there is 3 relays for the cooling fan. If i use the one for the fog lamps that i know is good, and subsitute it in for each one at a time, and see if the fan turns on, could I pinpoint the bad one? would this work?

I am also going to check for bad connections, and somehow test the fan itself. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah you can try substituting the fog lamp relay. Have you tried jumpering pins 5 and 6 at the DLC and see if they come on? More info here: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a I used a scan tool today and found out that it is the coolant temperature sensor at the water pump the is reading faulty messages.

Thannks anyways though 2001NBMZ28. SHbox.com is always a helpful website. I never thought to check there. Owell, i will next time.