General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light: Evac syetm leak (small). Is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES light: Evac syetm leak (small). Is this bad?

While driving normally (no WOTs) I got an SES light. Took it to autozone to get the codes read:
-Bank 2, Sensor 1
-Evac system, leak (small)

That's what the code reader showed. The guy at Autozone said to drive it around to see if the leak would get bigger so that I could find it and to just change out the OS2 sensor.

I drove it around and the car was normal. I didn't see any gasoline leaks or anything on the ground or in the engine.

Does this sound too bad? Do you guys think I'll mess anything up if I drive it more?

Here are the engine mods:

Hooker Full Exhaust
QTP E-Cutout
Comp "Custom" cam (231 237 .589 .595 112LSA)
Vigilante 3600 Stall
B&M Trans Cooler
Ls1 Underdrive pulley/Harmonic Balancer
Ls6 Intake
SLP LID
Mac Filter

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think you mean P0442 - EVAP small leak? First thing to check for that is a loose or bad seal on the gas cap. Friend of mine had it and wasn't the gas cap though, code kept coming back after replacing it. Ended up taking it to a shop and had them pressurize the EVAP system with smoke to find the leak. Repair was easy, finding the leak was the pain. You can get all the other possibilities by looking the code up for your year at gearchatter.com
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
While driving normally (no WOTs) I got an SES light. Took it to autozone to get the codes read:
-Bank 2, Sensor 1
-Evac system, leak (small)

That's what the code reader showed. The guy at Autozone said to drive it around to see if the leak would get bigger so that I could find it and to just change out the OS2 sensor.
That sounds like something someone at an auto parts store would say. O2 sensors have NOTHING to do with the evap system.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

The O2 sensor code for bank 2 sensor 1 can be from several codes. Either way it is usually the sensor itself. dont see wiring problems on them very often but is possable. The small evap leak will be a pain to find should bring it somewhere with a smoke machine. The gas cap will usually set a large leak code but that is a posability.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws602ta
The O2 sensor code for bank 2 sensor 1 can be from several codes. Either way it is usually the sensor itself. dont see wiring problems on them very often but is possable. The small evap leak will be a pain to find should bring it somewhere with a smoke machine. The gas cap will usually set a large leak code but that is a posability.
If it's loose it'll set a small evap leak. The O2 sensor doesn't have anything to do with the EVAP leak, like stated before. I'd double check to make sure it's not a wiring problem, like O2 wires rubbing up against something and shorting out, before spending the money on a new O2 sensor.