General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Charging system problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system problem

Lately my charging gauge has been showing a low charge to the battery. I went to start the car yesterday and not enough battery left to start. After getting a jump, I was working my way home and the whole way I kept watching the gauge drop more and more until I started losing gauges and almost stalling, but got it home. The way it was acting, I assumed it was the Alternator. I took it to Autozone and it tested fine. Then took the battery in and it was not taking a charge. Purchased new battery and installed along with reinstalling the alternator. Started the car and let it run for 10 minutes to settle the idle down. Decided I would take it for a drive. Pulled out of the driveway and noticed the gauge starting to drop. drove around the block and by the time I got home the gauge was around 8.....

I am at a loss....anyone have any ideas on what to check next.....Please help, I am getting desperate, might have to take it to a mechanic to get checked out if I can't get it fixed.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You may have some diodes going bad in you alternator. If thats the case, it will check good until they die out. I had the same problem. I just bought a new alternator.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excitor wire might be bad, also the alternator is known to sometimes lock up....in other words carry an open circuit which will cause power loss, this is due to an internal problem...which is usually not detected by places like autozone....you can take the power wire off the back of the alternator and it resets it....weird...but youll notice your battery charging....closed circuit