General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cars overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars overheating

I have a 98 Z28 to start things off.

The problem I have is that thursday night me and my buddies were finishing up my stereo and we had my car running so as to not wear down my battery. Well after about 15 minutes the car shut itself off. We couldnt figure out why... We then checked the gauges and the car shut itself off because it over heated. So we let it cool down and started it back up again to notice that the fans were not kicking on and it looked like the thermostat (or both) are bad since when it would get to (195) the coolant level wouldnt go down to show it was going to cycle. So we checked the switch (dont remember the techical term) for the fan and when we ended up just putting a wire on the two terminals the fans came on right away. But to no avail the fans wouldnt come on if the switches were in the fuse block. We then tested the switches and you could here them switching no problem. Could they still have a problem with them? Also does it sound like both or 1 thermostat is bad ?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-21-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like the PCM is not sending the signal to turn the fans on.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to my cousin who is a gm tech and he said the switch may be bad or the wiring to the switch. I ended up just ordering a SLP fan switch until I can get this worked out. I have a feeling it may be the switch. I will end up gutting it all apart tonight and looking it over!

Thanks for the info jkickline, I will look at that but I really dont think it is that.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Did you bleed your coolant? I had a similar problem with air in my coolant lines. I'm sure it would hurt to throw a thermostat in there.
About the switches... you said you heard them switching. Were they actually opening and closing the connection? You should be able to test that with an ohmeter.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jkichline
Did you bleed your coolant? I had a similar problem with air in my coolant lines. I'm sure it would hurt to throw a thermostat in there.
About the switches... you said you heard them switching. Were they actually opening and closing the connection? You should be able to test that with an ohmeter.
I forgot to mention that, their is air in the coolant lines. We are planning on bleeding them out today or tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Launching!

if bleeding the system doesnt work-get the fan switch
Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

We looked it over again and he thinks it may be the coolant temp sensor. So when I do the thermostat tonight I am going to do that as well and see what happens. (as well as bleeding the coolant out as well)