General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Check gauges light on when drag racing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check gauges light on when drag racing.

The last two times I've been to the race track, my check gauges light has been flickering after I launch. It's not the service engine light, but the check gauges light. The Alt. is charging fine, oil and coolant level and temp is good. I've been unable to duplicate it on the street. I'm thinking it has something to do with the car hooking hard on the drag radials and the sticky track. Could that cause more pressure on the serpentine belt, causing the tensioner to loosen up or something? Any ideas?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

how much gas is in the car when this happened? might just be fuel moving away from the sensor and setting off the light-happened to me. doubt it has anything to do with the serp. belt.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its gotta be the fuel level, trust me "check gauges" means low fuel. Dont ask just trust me.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Launching!

check gauges light will also come on if the car overheats or if theres low oil pressure or low voltage
Old 05-24-2007, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

I actually had a brain cramp on the way to the track and topped it off with fuel. The last time I had about a 1/4 tank. So I can eliminate the fuel problem unless there's actually a problem with the pick up under hard acceleration. The problem with that is it won't do it on the street. Only on the sticky track?? Temp and Oil are fine. Charging fine.. weird issue. Oh well, it has 170,000 miles, and it's been to the track about 10 times this year, so I guess it could be due for some gremlins.