General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water pump/Opti

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water pump/Opti

Ok got a question for you guys. I just recently bought a 94 formula with 100k on it 3 days ago (I've had 3 hondas and a turbo eclipse before this). Well heres my problem. While the cars cold it runs great and pulls great. When the temp gets up around the 210-ish area the car starts sputtering and loses power. Now i've heard that it could be the plugs and wires (which look fine), it could be a control mod. (dumbass autozone) or it could be the water pump leaking on the opti. Im not for sure but i took it to a decent mechanic and he ran it on his comp and said something about a knock sensor going to 21 degrees everytime the car sputtered. Also when the car gets hot there is a strong gas smell that fills the inside of the car and you can smell it outside of the car even. Its so strong that the mechanic doesnt even know how it passed inspection. Any suggestions or answers would be very much appreciated!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

get an LT4 knock module that should take care of the false knock.

let the car sit on idle and observe the engine as it reaches that temperature. rev it up some and see if you can find any coolant leaks.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

what about the gas smell...if i light a lighter in that bitch i bet it would explode its so strong but there is no leaks underneath my car or anything. Also what exactly would that knock module do? Thanks for putting up with my noobness
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

temp switch in front of the waterpump can cause it to run piggg rich,your fuel system could need attention(bad inj.,pressure reg.)
ignition system:may not be getting enough spark!
ICM
COIL
OPTI
these are just possibilities,certainly worth checking out.has your mechanic hooked a scanner to it,bring it to AutoZone if you have one in your area they will scan it for you.good luck hope its something small
oh and the knock modules job is to read the data given from the knock sensor the module from the Lt4 is a little bit LESS sensative to avoid timing retard caused by false knock aka roller rockers and steel valve covers