General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coil Packs

I was wondern if there is a way to check to see if i had a bad coil on my LS1. When i am driving down the road it's ok but when i jump in the gas from a roll or a dead stop it sounds like it's missfiring. i ha it on a dyno the other day and it must have knew cause it didn't do it for him. I have new plugs, wires but the coils are still stock. What should i do?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it throwing codes? are u sure everything has a good connection? sometimes the 02 sensors will freak cuz it senses the gas, other times it detects the miss... check everythin first...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Re

My car doesn't have O2's anymore and it's not thrown any codes. That's what weird. It ran good before but now it seems like a different car. And you can hear the miss from outside the car to and if i take the RPM's up high it like misses then clears up until the next gear then it starts all over again. I was running race gas in it but now i am just running 94 octane. Do you think it might be my torque converter?

Thanks again,

Travis
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Launching!

well usually if it is missing from something major then the ses light flashes..there is a way you can check to see if the coils are good with a voltmeter i think..I know on the old single coils you could. Just put some rubber gloves on and pull each wire while its running...lol dont do that...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IMPRTKILLER
My car doesn't have O2's anymore and it's not thrown any codes. That's what weird. It ran good before but now it seems like a different car. And you can hear the miss from outside the car to and if i take the RPM's up high it like misses then clears up until the next gear then it starts all over again. I was running race gas in it but now i am just running 94 octane. Do you think it might be my torque converter?
So you don't have any O2 sensors? That's a problem...

And if this is the case, it is throwing codes, you just aren't seeing them. Unless you had the PCM edited to not throw codes for it. If this is the case, I think you'd better server our population by buying a carburetor.

The O2 sensor is one of the most critical sensors in a modern EFI system. You can't just pull them out because you don't want to deal with them.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

The guy who tuned my car deleted my O2's so i can run any type of race fuel. He also set it up for when i am spraying it when you unplug your air temp sensor it pulls 6 degres of timing out of it. He does alot of work for Katech so he should know what he is doing. His business os called www.vectormotorsports.com

Thank you

Travis
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Moving to General Maintenance & Repairs....