General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark Arching

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Arching

Hey guys,

Ive been having troubles with a spark arching issue after installing longtubes a couple months ago. At first it started arching cylinder 6 towards the side bolt that holds down the coil pack. I checked it out and found out the spark plug was loose, so I tightened it up. And the fixed the problem.

Now 2 months later ive got cylinder 4 arching towards the side bolt. I found I had gotten loose inside the threads as did cyclinder 6's spark plug. So I tightened it up, threw it back together and it still arched. I then pushed up the female end of the spark plug wire into the coil pack and it started arching a little less.

Since it was still arching I figured id take out one of the bolts that holds the coil pack. It then started arching a little less.

So right now I just ordered some new MSD spark plug wires to hopefully fix the problem. Do you guys think it will? I have never changed my plug wires and the car has 80,000 miles on it.

p.s. I added new spark plugs when installing headers, but not spark plug wires.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, I would be surprised if new wires didn't fix your issue. I'm not sure what MSD wires look like but I put Taylors on mine and they don't have the metal heat tubes on them that the stock ones do. MSD's probably don't either. Wires are important, they can look good and still be bad. Not changing them is a really good source of mystery problems.