General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ac compressor oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor oil

how do i put new oil in the compressor? i just changed them out and wasnt sure how to
Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it this way...

There are 2 ports on the back of the compressor. One is the inlet, one is the outlet. Put your finger over one of them and spin the compressor pulley to figure which is in or out.
I then poured a few ounces into the inlet, turned the compressor pulley, and refilled. I repeated that until the new oil came out the other side
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

alright cool ill give it a shot
Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Generally if you are replacing one part of the A/C system, i.e. compressor, condenser, etc, you add about 2 oz. per item replaced. If you add too much oil, you can lock the compressor up and/or the system will not cool like it should because of too much oil in the system.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
I did it this way...

There are 2 ports on the back of the compressor. One is the inlet, one is the outlet. Put your finger over one of them and spin the compressor pulley to figure which is in or out.
I then poured a few ounces into the inlet, turned the compressor pulley, and refilled. I repeated that until the new oil came out the other side

X2 on that one. I added about 7-8 oz of pag oil to the entire system. About 4 in the compressor and 3-4 in the accumulator. Good luck. Dont forget to put a vaccuum on it to get out all the moisture.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkbird
X2 on that one. I added about 7-8 oz of pag oil to the entire system. About 4 in the compressor and 3-4 in the accumulator. Good luck. Dont forget to put a vaccuum on it to get out all the moisture.
Yea I should have said that, I put about half the PAG can in the accumulator and the compressor took a bit less than half.