General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help rack&pinion?

The other day i go to start my car and notice the key is really hard to turn, so hard that i thought i was going to break it off in the ignition...i finally just said screw it and and i turned it over and it started...as soon as i get onto the road the car starts severely pulling to the left, as if its out of alignment...but its really bad. For me to be able to drive straight, my steering wheel is nearly vertical.

I was thinking the rack might be fucked...but would that have anything to do with the key?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by nor-texLS1; 08-02-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Teching In

It might. I know if you have your steering wheel turned, sometimes you have to jiggle it to get the key to turn on my car.

As far as the alignment thing I'm not really sure.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

anyone else?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at first it sounds like the key cylinder but with it pulling like that it has to be somewhere in between the steering column and rack and pinion . pop the hood and try to get someone to turn the wheel and watch the links . also if you candrop the panel below the steering wheel and take a look .
though i will say your situation sounds somewhat unique as i have not read of a case like yours . i had my security (vats) go out and got off in there a bit but you need to ask around maybe in another forum to get some folks attention .
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

well i took it to the shop today and they told me i need to replace my tie-rod ends... does that sound right?