General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at Idle

Hey,

I did some searching but couldn't find anything related to my topic. My 1999 Camaro SS is an A4 with 85k miles on it. I'm well aware that a higher mileage car can have vibrations and what not. What I'm wondering is what is causing it.

When the car is in park, it idles smooth. Whenever I put the car in gear and I'm stopped, it will vibrate on and off. It isn't random, more of a pattern really. When I turn the A/C on it vibrates worse, but in the same pattern.

Looking at the RPM gauge, it doesn't appear to be moving any and I can't hear the motor surging, it sounds fine. It will do this when cold or hot.

What I have done so far is changed the spark plugs to TR55 gapped to .55 and the plug wires. I have run seafoam through the gas tank and crank case (not the booster line yet). I have checked the motor mounts and they seem fine.

Now for my mods:

SLP Loudmouth 1 catback
SLP Lid
SLP smooth bellow
SLP strut tower brace
LS6 intake
3.42 gears
3000 Stall
Panhard bar and Lower control arms
Rear end Girdle

I'm guessing it has to do with the stall? I have no previous experience with one. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XPTB
Hey,

I did some searching but couldn't find anything related to my topic. My 1999 Camaro SS is an A4 with 85k miles on it. I'm well aware that a higher mileage car can have vibrations and what not. What I'm wondering is what is causing it.

When the car is in park, it idles smooth. Whenever I put the car in gear and I'm stopped, it will vibrate on and off. It isn't random, more of a pattern really. When I turn the A/C on it vibrates worse, but in the same pattern.

Looking at the RPM gauge, it doesn't appear to be moving any and I can't hear the motor surging, it sounds fine. It will do this when cold or hot.

What I have done so far is changed the spark plugs to TR55 gapped to .55 and the plug wires. I have run seafoam through the gas tank and crank case (not the booster line yet). I have checked the motor mounts and they seem fine.

Now for my mods:

SLP Loudmouth 1 catback
SLP Lid
SLP smooth bellow
SLP strut tower brace
LS6 intake
3.42 gears
3000 Stall
Panhard bar and Lower control arms
Rear end Girdle

I'm guessing it has to do with the stall? I have no previous experience with one. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yeah, the stall is trying to push through the brakes. I forgot to mention that.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is that a sign of a bad converter? Or just normal stall activity?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XPTB
So is that a sign of a bad converter? Or just normal stall activity?

Normal stall activity.