General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01Z doesnt start up on first try

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01Z doesnt start up on first try

Just a few months ago the car started to not turn on on the first try. I can turn it over for 10 secs and it will do nothin, then try a 2nd time and it starts instantly. It seemed to have started while i was at the track and the first thing that happend is the low oil light came on and once i started the car back up it never came back.

Once the car has been running for a while, i can turn it off and start it up first try for about 15 mins then it goes back to taking 2 tries.

Last edited by loreak; 08-24-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u ever check the oil???? enyways change the fuel filter if you have not done so already or have never thought of changin it
Old 08-25-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't worry too much about the light unless it repeats.

It sounds like you have no fuel at the rails when you first crank it up. Maybe something is allowing the fuel to bleed back when the car sits. Is the fuel pump stock?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

mines doing that also im pretty sure its the resistor in the key going bad I am going to try and take the vats out with my hptuners and see if that fixes it if it does ill put the vats back in and get a new key
Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

check you're fuel pressure could be the fuel pump is going bad
Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atver300
mines doing that also im pretty sure its the resistor in the key going bad I am going to try and take the vats out with my hptuners and see if that fixes it if it does ill put the vats back in and get a new key
Usually if its the vats system,you wouldn't be able to make it crank.You usually get nothing when you turn the key.Also the "security" light tends to come on when you turn the key if its the vats.

To the thread starter:

Now my brother had what sounds like the same problem after he swapped out his fuel pump.He would have to "double start" (as he called it) his car because the 1st time it wouldn't "ignite" if you will and then on the 2nd try it would fire right up like no problem.

He decided to pull the pump out to double check everything and it turned out that there was a problem of some sort on one of the pump lines.

Not saying this is exactly your problem but,it definately shows that at least in y brother's situation it was fuel related.The pump wasn't getting enough of a prime I guess you could say.

Hope this helps you figure things out.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

ive never changed the fuel filter but i was planning on shortly, the pump is stock.

my first thought was fuel as well, but you would think if it was a lack of fuel pressure and took time to build up it would start after a long crank and not matter that you are attempting a 2nd time

i can crank it for like 1 second then do the 2nd try and it works

ae13291 - i did check the oil, it was a little low but nothing worth worrying about, i changed the oil a few weeks later
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loreak
my first thought was fuel as well, but you would think if it was a lack of fuel pressure and took time to build up it would start after a long crank and not matter that you are attempting a 2nd time
You would think that but it isn't how it works. The PCM is involved and meters how long the pump primes the system. If your line is emptying all the way back to the tank, the measured prime up won't be long enough to get the fuel to the injectors, the car doesn't start and the PCM won't allow any more fuel because it hasn't started - Catch 22 so you have to give it another try. This time you do have fuel, the engine starts and the pump works as it should.

I'm a repeater so what I have just told you is what I have been told....
Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

sounds plausible! im gonna try my backup key and see if it does the same thing to test what atver300 said, and ill replace the fuel filter too im sure it needs it anyway
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

The fuel pump does not work after the prime until the engine starts as a safety feature. It is your car's brain realizing that since the car hasn't started with what it had from the initial prime that pumping more fuel without the engine running could be filling cylinders, intake and exhaust with raw fuel. The possibility could be pumping gas out a broken fuel line into the engine compartment or out on the ground. It's fire prevention.