General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heater Core Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core Info

My 94 Camaro has been having this coolant smell and when the heat is on, fogs the windows and when i turn the heat on I see a bunch of smoke come out of the vents (Usually the window defroster vent). A/C works fine, very cold too. I read up on it and it's definitely the heater core problem. When i bought the car, the heater hoses were unhooked and in a loop (probably so he avoided the having to replace the heater core). I had the hoses hooked up during inspection. The guy who did it said my heater core wasn't leaking, but I think he was a complete moron. Because there is obviously a problem with it.
What I'm wondering is for the people who have had their's replaced, how much do heater cores cost on average? and is it worth it to do it yourself or suck it up and pay someone else to do it?

Also, the guy told me he had a lower thermostat put into the car, and the heat that comes out currently is like 90F at the most. What thermostat do I need to get to have normal heat temps?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 160 and my heater is flaming hot. my fans also are set to come on early so its not just a 160 on a stock fan setup so i don't know what your guy is talking about and i know that heater cores normally aren't that expensive but the install is high dollar.