General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unexplainable Phenomenon!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexplainable Phenomenon!

Okay so today I went to start up my '98 trans-am and the battery was dead from not driving it very often. I grabbed my jumper pack and tried jumping it, the battery was too dead. I disconnected and removed the battery, put the jumper pack in its place and used the "crank engine" mode on the jumper pack. The car starts right up, no problem....... I disconnect the ground from the jumper pack (remember no battery in the car) and the car is STILL running. I scratch my head and disconnect the positive cable as well. I totally remove any source of battery power source and it STILL runs! I rev it up, i drove it around the block (with the jumper in the car just incase) and it had no problems. I got home, turned off the car, and of course it wouldn't start..... there's no battery in it!

Not that it really matters, but can anyone explain what happened? My stereo has no capacitors that store voltage either. And no, i was not drunk and/or imagine this happening
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

Car only use the battery to start them, after they start they run off the alernator. What happend was pefectly normal. In fact if you disconected the jump pack and the car died ussually that means your alt is bad.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Yea....you don't need a battery to drive haha. I always have had this idea/question though. Why not start your car on the line, and then remove the battery before running a race? saves like 40lbs...
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like new battery time
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your car needed the battery to run then you wouldn't get too far since it would drain it
Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... yeah but...

Typically you can drive in the daytime with no battery, but the total draw at night gets pretty close; headlights, stereo, AC, ignition....

The battery allows current draw to exceed alternator output for a period of time without the engine dying (or the ignition system not operating at max output)