General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question concerning emissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question concerning emissions

I currently hydro-locked and ended up killing my LS1 in my 02ss and as it seems at the moment it is becoming more apparent that my insurance company will probly just cut me a check for the repairs. In my recent search for crate engines I came along a Turn-Key FastBurn 385 Crate Engine online for a reasonable price but im unsure if once installed that the engine would or would not be able to meet emission standards. Any input on weather or not it is possible for this carbureted engine to be able to pass state emissions would be of great help. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emissions laws vary by state. I'm in California, home of the ultra-strict emissions laws. Here if you change the engine for another, the new engine has to be newer and retain all smog accessories.

If you have to pass the sniffer test there, I can't see a carburated engine passing. Fuel injection is very precise. That engine that you're looking at probably says "for offroad use only". I'm sure one of the sponsors can recommend a local engine builder who can put something wicked together that can pass smog.

I've been looking at a 460 hp combo that will supposedly pass California emissions. If that can be done, you should be able to get at least 500 hp with your easy emissions!