General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stupid Firestone!!!! Permanent Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid Firestone!!!! Permanent Damage?

I come back for the weekend from school up north (Berkeley) and my dad had just taken my car to Firestone to get the serpentine belt replaced because it was semi-torn and my 160 stat was not opening till 210. So he gets it replaced before i get there, i know, waste of money but i had been dying to drive my car. Well he picks me up drive 30 mins from the airport to my house. Everything was fine. Needle hovered around 180. I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend and a little mazda pulls up next to me, so i decided to play around with him a bit. Funny how amazing it feels to roll on the throttle and feel your tires just rip of the little traction the 315 Summitomos provide. Well i played on an off the throttle for about 30 secs and then my steering wheel gets really hard. I got scared. I turn left and right maybe it was the fluid or something. Nothing happened. I turned into a little street drive down for like a min and then look notice the temperature and i was well past the 3rd not yet at red! and i just turned the car off right away. Pop the hood and the serpentine belt was just hanging. Pulled it out threw it in the back seat, sat in my car, and cried (not really). Waited till it cooled down and parked it infrom of my friends house. Firestone serviced my car at the location, tensioned it and gave me new belt, i made them replace my oil. I told them the car turned off on my and they gave me 4 free oil changes. What is the probability that i have permanent damage? i really didn't notice a difference.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll be fine, seen cars get so hot they would puke dexcool and kick on the high speed fans even with the ignition off.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

oh yeah and i had my fluid flushed because i had antecedently mixed preston (green) with the dexcool...should that be replaced too?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea man dont mix death cool and the green stuff! Use either one you like (for me its the green stuff) but anyways be sure the other is completely out of your car first, before you put your choice of coolant back in ................
Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

As far as the temps, it should be fine. I had a hose blow off after a thermorstat swap (didn't fasten the clamp properly), and the temp went up a little but I parked it before it got past 3/4 on the guage. The car will go into limp mode when sensing overheating to protect things as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

thats good to know...now i can try getting more hours to get it some GSD3's after i roll the fender and buy some rear shocks