General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

IAC problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IAC problems

My car keeps idling way high. Sometimes above 3k RPM. If I unplug the IAC it runs great, but then I have idle problems when it's cold. I've inspected, cleaned and tightened everything on the throttlebody and even the intake manifold. I've emptied an entire can of starter fluid around every hose and mating surface on the intake system and I can find NO sign of any vacuum leaks.

With the IAC plugged in it starts great and sometimes it runs great, but more and more it starts to run away. When you accelerate and go to shift gears the ROM keeps increasing when you put the clutch in even if you don't have your foot on the gas. Head down the highway and it'll cruise at 50mph with no cruise control and no throttle. Sometimes it will start to increase the idle up to 4000rpm and I have to shut it off.

I unplugged the IAC and the car runs great. The car barely has 10,000 miles on it I've also checked all electrical connections.

Could this be just a bad IAC?

Please advise.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you try cleaning any carbon build up that could be in the iac?first if you can hook it up to scan tool see what the iac count is.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Could it be temperature related?

Do you have the problem when the car is warm? The PCM may be making a "smart" decision based on another parameter.

I would also check to be sure you are getting a good coolant temperature when the car is cold/warm and also make sure your air temperature sensor isn't gummed up. (If you run a K&N or other oiled air filter, oil slowly sheds off and will throw off your air and MAF sensors.)