General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start, but turns over?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, but turns over?

Well, I've never had my car give me problems like this before. I went out this morning to start the car and it fired right up. I waited about 5 seconds and turned the heat on (It's cold out now and my car is not really tuned for winter time), another 10 seconds goes by and it immediately dies. I turn the heater off and try to start it back and nothing. It cranks and every little bit, will act like it wants to start. I would explain it like a back fire.

I first thought the problem could be bad gas. I went and purchased 2 bottles of STP Octane Booster and poured those in, and still nothing. I also went as far as buying a new battery. I am thinking that it could be the crank or cam posiiton sensor. Could it be any relays/fuses?

The car is throwing no codes. Basically, everything has been deleted out. The car is a LS2 403 w/ a TH350.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Was it cold enough to freeze? Maybe some water in the fuel filter or line froze. If it cranks and is getting spark, check for fuel pressure.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check spark, that would be easiest place to start. Also check for a security system fault. The Security light will be on or flashing with the key on, that will indicate a fault, and will cause a crank/no start. Also, any kind of bad sensor reading will cause an engine to "try to start". Like an engine coolant sensor reading wrong, or a map sensor reading wrong will trigger wrong injector pulse widths, and timing issues. If its off enough it wont start. If you have acess to a scantool with data lists, that might steer you in the right direction. Also, fuel pressure is very important. Check that. An easy way to check that, is to spray carb cleaner in the throttle body while someone cranks it, and see if it lights. If it runs you have a fuel problem. That might give you a few places to look, if you need anything else from me, you can pm me. later
Old 12-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Found the issue. My car is running rich because of the winter weather. My car is tuned for the summer time. Every single plug was fouled. I changed them with new TR55's again and it fired right up. Problem resolved.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Funny...whenever I have that problem it's always because of a bad fuel pump.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Plugs and wires are usually the first thing to look at. Glad you found the problem.