General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator help needed

Boy, I hope I'm not stranded at work, on NYE

2 weeks ago I changed my alternator (dash charge indicator was jumping back and forth, therefore I figured it was the problem, plus original had 180k miles on it).

New alternator is about 10 days old.

When I was taking the old one off, forgot about the pigtail, and pulled the wire out so I had spend the $30 for a new pigtail.

Charging seems intermittent, but seems like every other day while driving, the meter indicator goes into the red (discharge) on the dash, then slowly lights dim, and I can't start the car, have to recharge the battery.

Battery is about 6 months old

Alternator installed is from Autozone and about 10 days old (just called them and they said it could be either the wire from the pigtail not making connection or bad alternator). I know, I know, I read the posts about "shouldn't use autozone alternators"

Any thoughts? Could it be the wire from the pigtail not making connection after I spliced it?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bring it back to autozone. theyll test it for free
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Teching In

It was bad. Failed on all three of their tests.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Teching In

And yet another confirmation to avoid AutoZone alternators. Do they sell only remanufactured units?

I noticed that most shelf-parts from Advance Auto and AutoZone carry exact if not very similar PNs. The part numbers are nearly identical on their alternators for the Duralast and the Autolite, except for the hyphenation and Advance's starts with a N - N1607165 (guessing because this PN is for a new unit) and AutoZone's starts with DL - DL1607-16-5 (probably their internal coding for "Doesn't Last").

Anyways, glad you got this fixed. I'm in need of a new alternator soon, myself.

Quick Reply: Alternator help needed