General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting troubles

ok, so recently my car has had some starting problems...the past couple of days when i go to start my car it is very hesitant to turn over. once the car starts it runs great but when i first turn the car over its almost like the battery is nearly dead, but once the car is running the voltage is great. the past couple of starts it barely turned over and seemed to cut on and off as it was starting (i heard the beeping noise a few times while the engine was being turned over) any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start with checking the battery cables, if they look OK bring it to some place like auto zone that'll do a load test on the battery. It's free and if that's not it at least you eliminated the battery.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

ok so i checked the battery cables and theyre fine, however i did notice now that when it is cold starting the condition is much worse and when warm starting seems to almost be like it should
Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The past couple mornings it's been below freezing here, and mine hesitates a little bit too - but only for a second or two and starts normally. The volt gauge right after startup is higher than normal too before coming down. Might just be a combination of the cold and battery is a little weak in your case. I'd try a load test and make sure you have at least a 690 CCA battery. Don't know what the beeping noise could be?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

hook up your multi meter to the battery and crank the engine. If it drops below 10 volts while you crank it.... replace the battery.