General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Odd Blinker Problem, multiple symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Blinker Problem, multiple symptoms

I did a search, but every thread I read seemed to be about obvious blinker problems (where it will stay lit up solid due to a bulb being blown out). First off, all my lights work fine. They all signal properly; none of them are burned out or blown. However, when I use my turn signals, the lights (the dash arrows as well as the signals on the outside of the car themselves) signal fairly rapidly; maybe 1.5x's faster than they should. They also make no noise when they "click" on and off; they're completely silent. Third, they "freeze" after about 10 seconds of blinking and stay lit up until you turn them off/make the turn. Once they freeze like this, I can't signal again for another minute or two or else they'll still be "frozen" like that. It's done this since I bought the car last summer, and I figured I'd try and fix this annoyance while it's still down for the winter. Any advice on what to do?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out VIP1's lighting FAQ-I believe that article covers your areas of concern:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....18&postcount=7

Meanwhile, just keep in mind that there can be other causes for blinker problems as well, such as the DRL module itself, even though that's a rare case that it seems only "I" was lucky enough to get...
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad blinker

It will work for a bit until it heats up too much. Try swapping the four-way blinker with the turn signal blinker.

I've never seen a bad socket do that, but it would make sense. A poor connection raises the resistance in the circuit and therefore should act like a bad bulb.

That said, I would try swapping flashers before I took the time to inspect all the sockets.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Need to install winter grade blinker fluid. The summer fluid is not viscous enough for cold weather operation.

Change the flasher.