General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans am headlight doesn't always flip up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am headlight doesn't always flip up

Like the tittle says. Sometimes the pass side light will not go up or down. it doesnt grind or anything. Is there anything i can do to fix this ?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Firebird headlight fix

I've been searching for similar info as well.

98, 99, 00, 01, 02 Firebird, Trans Am, Formula

The headlight system consist of the headlight switch, this module, and the headlight motors. The switch operates the module, the module operates the motor. If you have an alarm that operates the headlights, that may be at fault. Some tips for diagnostics, assuming you have inspected and checked all fuses, wires and fusible links, are listed below, but not limited to the following:

If you hear a loud grinding noise for roughly 3 seconds after headlight is lifted or lowered : bad headlight motor.

If neither motor run at all : Blown fuse, bad headlight switch, bad headlight module, both motors faulty

If motors run in 1 direction only :bad headlight switch, bad headlight module

If motors lift when park lights are set : bad headlight switch, bad headlight module

If either motor runs, but does not lift or lower headlight assembly : bad headlight motor.

If 1 motor operates abnormally : bad headlight motor, bad headlight module

The above tips and suggestions are just a thought, consult your factory service manual for diagnostics.

This is a really good thread too, but it falls short on the topics of modules and relays. I don't think my motor is shot, but I'm looking into the 9-pin connectors and the module.

The Firebird headlight thread

Nice video on taking appart headlight assembly.

Another good Firebird headlight page with pictures

Hope these help, GL &

Quick Reply: Trans am headlight doesn't always flip up