General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

powersteering issues please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powersteering issues please help!

Was leaving the store in the 04 prix and I turned the wheel all the way to the left and all of sudden it started to act like the powersteering was going out. Got it home to check the fluid and of course it was low and looked like fluid had been leaking a little down there. So I feeled it back up with tranny fluid as its the only thing I had and now I dont have powersteering only when turned to the left. It works fine when I turn it to the right it just dont work when I turn left. Does anybody have any ideal what could be wrong? Never heard of such a problem. It seems like nothing is wrong when turned right but 0 power when turned left. Also when turn left you can hear the pump trying. Tomorrow im going to put all new powersteering fluid in just to see. If yall have any input please help. Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need a new power steering pump. My Tahoe had similar issues as you described and the pump was bad.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

If I remember right GPs have expensive power steering pumps, don't be surprised if a shop wants $700 to replace it.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

actually a mechanic said its not in the powersteering pump that its actually in the rack and pinion. Im pretty sure its got air in the rack, I changed all the fluid in the resevoir and now I have powersteering while driving but just not at a dead stop. The power comes on and off while driving now which it didnt before. It feels just like air is in the system I just have to figure out a way to bleed it out.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I was gonna say it was the rack since you have power one way and not the other. Usually if it's the pump you'll lose it all together.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Z-71 truck and too and used to be a regular on Chevytalk truck forums and ther was a prob. with those pumps and they would do the exact same thing. Turn fine one way but not the other. There was a part in the pump bad (can't remember name though' sorry) but you didn't have to replace the whole the pump. You may be able to get a rebuild kit and save some $$ if it is the pump and costs $700. Good luck!!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

If the problem is with the rack and pinions, then I would suggest for you to try using power steering treatment fluids before paying hundreds at a pro shop. If you want immediate results, then it's worth buying Lukas. I have used it and seen impressive results. If any of these treatment fluids could fix the problem, then it's worth a try for the money compared to the hundreds for professional service.