General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with air conditioning

First off I'll admit I can add freon and that's about the extent of my air conditioning knowledge. My air blows hard and is full of freon but it doesn't cool. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

needs recharged, have a shop run a leak down test on it. could be a few things
bad pressure switch, clogged accumulator etc.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You many have over charged it.. check your spec for how much you need.

Else there could be something else wrong with your system, suggest you take it to a Car AC Shop have ghem correctly re-charge the system and inspect it for leaks or problems.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there going to recharge it and put dye in it...freon usually doesnt just disapate
Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

check & see if the compressor is coming on. if it is & its still blowing hot, make sure the a/c fan is working with it on.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Compressor come on? are you getting a sweat pattern on any of the pipes? could be a problem under the dash too..just check the obvious first.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

It doesn't need freon, I checked that already. The compressor was working but I Haven't checked it recently. I think I'm going to take the overall advice to take it to an AC shop and have them look at it. Thanks for the help/advice!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Teching In

A/C pressure switch. I had the same problem last year, switch out the switch and it was good to go.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Last summer my AC was bone chillin cold lol (would joke around with my friend w/ no ac) and now the compressor doesnt even come on! Hot air all the time.. Anyone have any ideas?

I did add a little bit of freon end of the summer so if I over charged it would the compressor not come on at all?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I hope you didn't actually add "freon" as these systems are R134a, not R12 like older vehicles. Did you just pick up one of those cans from Wal-Mart? You could have overcharged the system and caused a worse issue than you already had. I would take it somewhere and have an AC shop take a look at it. Let them run a few tests. It might cost you a couple bucks to have them look at it but you won't be wasting money overcharging the system and replacing parts you don't need to.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Teching In

I got a 04 GTO and my AC just stopped blowing cold. I blows kinda cold but never gets to how it was. I checked the 134a and its right where it should be. Any ideas?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

I did finally take it to a shop and my compressor is leaking so I've got another one to put on I just haven't had it done yet. FYI
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Post Same Problem

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
Last summer my AC was bone chillin cold lol (would joke around with my friend w/ no ac) and now the compressor doesnt even come on! Hot air all the time.. Anyone have any ideas?

I did add a little bit of freon end of the summer so if I over charged it would the compressor not come on at all?
I have the same problem. One day cold as can be, the next dead. The compressor does not engage - no click when the AC is turned on. I have been tracing this one out this past weekend. Fusses and the A/C compressor relay are fine. So far I am down to trying to find out why I have power on the hot sides of the A/C compressor relay, but the switch inside does not connect. Therefore, no power goes to the A/C compressor. I had to stop there and re-group. I may be too deep into this and looking over the obvious.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Man i got so fed up with it I just ripped it out to save the 40lbs it was taking up. When i went to purge it I had NO freon in the system, so mine was probably as simple as just having a leak somewhere. Good luck with it man.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 PM

Post No A/C

You know, I did not check the system itself for Freon. I am use to the compressor at least clicking on/off. It may be since it has a pressure sensor on the system, and if it is empty it will not turn it on. I will check that next! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got a similar issue. My AC system has been topped off with freon as it was low. Now the AC compressor does not even click on and it blows hot air.

Is it possible that the fuse and/or relay may be bad? The car has 102K miles, so the compressor my be bad, but I hope it is a more cost-friendly repair. What should I check first? I doubt the lines are bad, I figured they would have checked those (I got 2 lines I can switch out) so should I just go ahead and replace the fuse, relay and then if that doesnt work, change the lines? Then if all of the above dont work, is it the compressor itself that may need to be replaced?

If so, how many miles is "too much" for a used compressor to have to be considered not a good purchase to replace mine with? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Check the wires leading to the compressor itself. I had a situation similar to yours and found that the way GM had routed the wires leading the the AC compressor was such that they were almost flush with the actual pulley on the unit. One day, my ac stopped working and I found that the pulley had actually rubbed through one of the wires. I reconnected them and put a twist cap and some electrical tape on it and that had solved the problem.