General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure = zero

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure = zero

This just happened basically overnight, and its got me scared to drive my car. I parked it the other day and my brother changed my spark plugs for me (he owed me big time). When i got in the car this morning to go to work, my check gauges light was on right when it stated up. I looked around and noticed i had no oil pressure at all. I immediately shut the car off and im not sure what could have happened....it was fine last night.

My brother did mention that as he was taking a spark plug out, it hit something and sparked somewhere....could this have cause something? Maybe he hit something? My main question is, is it just the sensor thats screwed up and can i drive the car until i replace the sensor?

The car in question is a 94 z28 by the way.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

was there oil on the ground?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Nope, no oil anywhere
Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get another oil pressure gauge to check the pressure manually - just remove the sending unit, screw it in and then start the car. If you have pressure with the manual gauge, then obviously you have a problem with the sending unit (either the unit itself, or a pinched/damaged wire maybe - though I think the latter pegs the gauge at 80 not 0). If there's no pressure on the manual gauge, you're in trouble mechanically.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 PM

So im pretty sure i narrowed it down to a screwed up sensor. I went out and got a new one.....apparently they changed the design. That means the new one is about half as long. That means it doesnt fit back in where the old one did....the threads are the same size, but this new sensor is about an inch shorter than the old one, so the bulky end of the sensor hits the oil filter mount before i can even get it screwed in.....I guess the only thing i can say is what the f***?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Just to make myself feel better I would just use a manual gauge to check the Oil PSI.

Then look for the right sending unit.