General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rocker arm noise???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker arm noise???

my 2000 ls1 is making a weird noise i took it to aour local chevy dealership and they said they believe a rocker arm is loose. What it is doing it when im on the gas its fine but as the rpms are winding down its making a loud high pitched noise that goes with the same speed as the motor. My question is is this really the problem and if it is how hard and what do i need to do step by step to fix it or am i better off to just take it to them let them charge me $250 just to fix it any help is appreciated pictures anything... thanks guys Chris
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Banned

You need basically three tools. A ratchet, an 8mm socket and a 10mm socket. And an optional inch pound torque wrench. Maybe a short extension.

Take the coil packs off (5? 10mm bolts), take the valve covers off (four 8mm bolts), take the rockers off (one 8mm each).
It's really that easy. no write up needed IMO.

EDIT: that doesn't sound like a rocker arm problem to me. The rockers do the same thing at any given rpm regardless of engine load or throttle position.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

what do you think it may be then i dont want to do all this if thats not what everyone thinks the problem is i do have after market headers and have had those bolts back out on me before do you think that it could be that i didnt think it would be because its a higher pitched noise but at first i did think it was an exhaust leak.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

so the rockers would make the same noise even if the rpms were climbing and not just when they are fallin cause this noise is only when the rpms are falling
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds more like pushrods.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

How the hell does it sound like push rods?
The whole valve train does the same thing whether is revving up, coasting down, under load, or not.

It could be an exhaust leak, headers will pull a vacuum on the ports with the throttle closed, with MLS gaskets they can even make a whistle noise, or a high pitch squeel.

Quick Reply: rocker arm noise???