General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

air condition question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air condition question

i had my air recharged and it still dont get as cold as it should...and dont get cool unless im driving. wtf? any ideas?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what year is your car?

If you're not getting cool until you start moving your condensor could be clogged with all kinds of **** like little rocks, grass, twigs and other debris. It builds up over time. When you start moving the air gets through the condensor better to cool it off.

My condensor was ridiculously clogged with crap when I cleaned it. Made all the difference. Its a bitch to do though.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needadvice
what year is your car?

If you're not getting cool until you start moving your condensor could be clogged with all kinds of **** like little rocks, grass, twigs and other debris. It builds up over time. When you start moving the air gets through the condensor better to cool it off.

My condensor was ridiculously clogged with crap when I cleaned it. Made all the difference. Its a bitch to do though.
its a 2000 trans am, the condensor is in front or behind the radator?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yeller_xtc
its a 2000 trans am, the condensor is in front or behind the radator?
The condensor is in front of the radiator and damn near the same size. It gets hit with all the crap over the years that gets sucked up by the air dam.

There's no way around it if you want to clean it, you must take the radiator out. I do it every 2 years, since after my car was 3 years old and my engine started running hotter and hotter with my A/C turned on in city driving. On the highway, no problem, because of the ram air from the lower air dam is sufficient to keep it cool.

You don't have to disconnect the A/C lines though. You just get it all apart where the condensor can move freely, then you get a piece of wood like a 2 foot long 2x4. Then you literally smack it up against the wood about 50 times, HARD. You smack it in the forward direction so the debris goes forward the way it came in. You will see tons of crap falling out.

This was my problem...NOT saying its yours, but its worth doing anyway as maintenance. My temps were literally 40 degrees cooler during city driving with the A/C "on". Actually it got to a point where the temps would keep going right into the red if I let it.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually have to do it again maybe next week. If I do I'll take some pics.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool any step by step directions is awesome. i love the information i get on this site! thanks!!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think a better way of cleaning it is just to get the gardon hose and turn it up all the way and point it from the radiatior side out through the condensor side. that way everything comes out and it also cleans the radiator and everything clean, u can also use air. also dont do this when the motor is hot