General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PS pump or Alt to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS pump or Alt to blame?

Hey there,
For several al months now, my 2000 SS has had a whining sound coming from the engine compartment. Sound kinda like a supercharger, because it rises and falls with the rpms. I don't drive the car often (a few times a month), so I haven't been in a rush to diagnose the problem till now. I don't hear the sound when I first start the car, or even after I pull out of my driveway. I do notice it after I make the first turn off my street, and the sound will continue to rise and fall with the rpms no matter if I make a turn or not. Could it be that my PS pump is starting to go? I don't have any knocking or hard steering coming from the wheel, no groaning or creeking either. I did top of the PS fluid about a month ago, as it was about an inch low. Also, the sound it more audible if I yank the car from side-to-side in a straight line (gets slightly louder). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say powersteering pump. they usually make that sound when the fluid starts to get low. you say u just filled it, make sure you don't have a leak.