General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Question ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question ...

I've checked a search of posts and haven't found anything really like this yet ...

My A/C system seems to be blowing even remotely cold only when the system is on "Max" and "IIII" .. Anything less and it is really hit or miss (mostly miss). I'm not hearing any odd noises. It is the original charge (I understand that this is a closed system and outside of a leak, there should be no probs..

A little repair history: I snapped the A/C belt about 4 mo ago and it took the main belt out with it as well as the top radiator hose .. All have since been replaced .. The battery is brand new, and I'm still running around <12V under full load even though the "Big 3 upgrade" is done already as well.

Any advice before I spend any money on either recharge kits or shop work would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertGator
I've checked a search of posts and haven't found anything really like this yet ...

My A/C system seems to be blowing even remotely cold only when the system is on "Max" and "IIII" .. Anything less and it is really hit or miss (mostly miss). I'm not hearing any odd noises. It is the original charge (I understand that this is a closed system and outside of a leak, there should be no probs..

A little repair history: I snapped the A/C belt about 4 mo ago and it took the main belt out with it as well as the top radiator hose .. All have since been replaced .. The battery is brand new, and I'm still running around <12V under full load even though the "Big 3 upgrade" is done already as well.

Any advice before I spend any money on either recharge kits or shop work would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Get a simple check on the system anywhere. You might just be low on freon. Is the compressor kicking on and off by itself? If it is you are low on freon. Could be leaking from the compressor, look all over the underside of the compressor and see if you see green slime dripping from it.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by needadvice
Get a simple check on the system anywhere. You might just be low on freon. Is the compressor kicking on and off by itself? If it is you are low on freon. Could be leaking from the compressor, look all over the underside of the compressor and see if you see green slime dripping from it.
Didn't see any dye coming from the compressor (no telltale oil spots either)

Went ahead and got a recharge kit that came with one of the pressure gauge hoses.. Pressure was around 25psi (right at the bottom of the "good" range) .. I added about a half bottle of the R134a and that brought it into nominal range. Hopefully that's all it takes and this isn't a symptom of a bigger issue.

Thanks again!