General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem

idk i got some serious issues with my car.. need some help if anyone can please.. my voltage gauge is constantly jumping back and forth, my headlights keep burning out.. it blew 2 speakers that been replaced less then a year ago.. all lights constantly flickering.. noticed when voltage meter jumping the car idle changes everytime it jumps.. anybody have any ideas? this is driving me nuts..

this is on a 2000 trans am...

Last edited by BlacKBirD25; 07-05-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

sounds like your voltage regulator in the alternator might be bad. usually causes overcharging resulting in headlights burning out and things of that nature. try to hook a hand held voltmeter to the alternator and see what its putting out at idle (no accessories on). then try at 2000rpm. anything usually 14.3 volts and more is overcharging.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

preciate it.. well i found a loose ground, got that lil part fixed, it still slightly moves but not much... but now for some weird reason, my headlights pop up when the alarm is engauged, disengauged or sounding off.. then i think the headlight motor is going out cuz when they go down passenger side starts roaring for bout 5 seconds then quits.. starting doing this before i found the loose ground
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely not your headlight motor, but the plastic gear inside it. It's either replace the gear(s) or the headlight motor. Replacing the gear will last alot longer and is more cost effective.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

sounds good... but my main question is why did the headlights start flipping up with my STOCK alarm? it was weird it just randomly started doing it.. ive had the car for 2 years and it never did it before hah.. sounds like i need to find the wireing issue