General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

high idle when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high idle when warm?

ok car idles around 800-900 rpms when cold....but when it warms up idle rises..then idle gos from 1500 and back down to 1000...and when im driveing, i push in the cluth and it idles at 1500-2000 rpms...car temps stays at 210...i did look for vacuum leaks and tps is within specs...not sure what else to do...only code that comes up is idle to high, go figure lol...any one have this problem?..dont want to buy a new IAC if i dont need too...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had the same problem and it was my TPS, but it took a long time before it eventually threw a code saying thats what it was.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

did you clean off your IAC?? mine was dirty as hell and creating weird idle . . . well that mixed with the dime sized hole in the PCV elbow plugging into the TB lol
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

going to do all that again i guess.....going to take out the whole tb and mass air sensor and clean them...any gud ways to clean the mass air flow?....will tb cleaner work?...its just weird that the idle rises when warm...the oil looks fine so dont think its a head gasket problem....was thinking maybe a tune up might fix it...but if al else fails it has to be a bad sensor...just done know which one...tps with key on was within specs...closed and at wide oped throttle...so i just gave up on it being the tps...next guess was iac..but not sure how to check it...and couldnt find a vacuum leak with brake cleaner...but if it was a vacuum leak idle wouldnt get higher when car warms up..bought a propane tank, maybe i will hav btr uck with that....thanks for all the info