General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Compressor

Ok. I have an 87 toyota truck. I put a new a/c compressor on it and i jumpered it to get the freon in. its full of freon but once i hook it back up to the truck so it can cycle when it needs to it won't do anything. The compressor was used and it worked when i got it. Also the a/c is cold now but it just won't run on its own. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

The compressor cycling switch may be bad, or the switch in the control panel. Maybe if it has a relay or fuse too, I've never messed with an '87 toyota.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

yea i am thinking its a relay somewhere. i had this same problem with the last compressor. or maybe there is a short. its weird though because there is a switch to turn the a/c on in the truck and its lighting up like its sending a signal for it to turn the compressor. when you push the button in you can hear the motor rpm's go down like its turning something on but its not turning the compressor on.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should have a pressure switch in the lines somewhere. Either it isn't working properly, or it is working and you have too high or too low of pressure. I'd check that out.