General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OVERHEATING in minutes.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OVERHEATING in minutes.....

ok so i just finished installing my engine have new radiator new t stat new heads/cam new head gaskets (all the engine work was done professionally and engine ran fine before) anyways i turno on the car for the first time and i noticed the temp went up fairly quickly just at idle. then it hit the 220 mark and hung around there for about a minute then it began to raise into the red zone. my fans work fine. what ive noticed is that my water pump does not seem to be pumping water at all. the fluid is just sitting there in the radiator not moving. lower hose is air temp and upper hose has no pressure. everything is new i just dont get why this is happening all i did was swap the motor into another car. its as if the t stat isnt even feeling any water from within the motor so it just wont open?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have an air pocket behind the t-stat. take off the t-stat housing and drill a very small hole, like 1/16th in the t-stat itself. That will allow the air to be pushed out and the t-stat to operate properly.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya sounds like the problem i was hoping for just didnt know anyway of fixing it. thanks ill try that
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Is the t-stat GM OEM?... or is it from a parts house? Make sure it is opening. You can do this by filling a glass jar about half way with water, put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Place a thermometer in the water to make sure its 200+ Fahrenheit. Then place the t-stat in the jar of water to see if it opens.

I've seen several, upon several, parts house t-stats never open brand new!! I've been there myself!!! Nothing like OEM parts!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

stat stuck my guess, if air is bled out