General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Does anyone know how to tell what is draining my battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone know how to tell what is draining my battery

Just as the title states, I have let my 98 Tahoe sit for 10 days, at the beginning I put a BRAND new battery in, and came back from vacation and the car was totally dead. Does anyone have a way to tell what is draining my battery? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because that battery is new doesn't mean its any good. Take it and have it checked.
You wouldn't be the first... or the last one to buy a new battery that wasn't any count.

If the battery checks out "OK" then look for a short. Or the alternator could be bad...

I hate searching for shorts.....

I'll look for socks though.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

If there are aftermarket items, I'd look at those first (happened to me and and a trunk relay that was always on). To isoloate the draw, you hook up a amp meter in between the negative battery post and battery (must disconnect cable and have it run through the amp meter, or use one of the clamp versions and go around cable). Once you see the draw, start pulling fuses until you notice a drop and that will tell you what item could be the cause. From there, it's a matter of looking at wiring and the device creating the load as a cause.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Check your light switch and make sure the interior lights aren't on. Sounds dumb, but i did it and drained my battery.....
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a slow drain that took me forever to figure out, turned out to be my IPOD. It would charge itself when needed,even if the car was shut off. I always left the IPOD in the car attached not thinking about it. I only noticed the drain if the TA sat for 2-3 days.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrEddie
If there are aftermarket items, I'd look at those first
lol when I bought mine it had the slp fan switch and it was on full blast I drove it home went inside fell asleep and the next morning that battery was dead.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrEddie
If there are aftermarket items, I'd look at those first (happened to me and and a trunk relay that was always on). To isoloate the draw, you hook up a amp meter in between the negative battery post and battery (must disconnect cable and have it run through the amp meter, or use one of the clamp versions and go around cable). Once you see the draw, start pulling fuses until you notice a drop and that will tell you what item could be the cause. From there, it's a matter of looking at wiring and the device creating the load as a cause.
Eddie is right - best way to look for stuff is by pulling fuses and watching the ammeter
Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Launching!

i had a 98 ta that had a short in powerseat wiring that was draining mine over nite just started pulling fuses and then unplugged seat and no more dead batteries
Old 08-19-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was pretty much just gonna say what eddie said, but if you don't have an amp clamp-you can use a mulitimeter an just set it to amps-shouldn't be more than a few amps anyway and just check inside and pull fuses till it drops.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive done that same test by using a cheap test light. Put it inline between the neg cable and the battery post. Pull fuses until the light goes out. Or at least dims quite a bit.