General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help with a 99 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with a 99 Z28

My power steering pump leaked all over my alternator and the car died so I decided to change it.

So I took the alternator out today and noticed someone who owned the car before me cut 3 of the 4 wires coming out of the alternator plug and spliced the other one onto something else. Does anyone have a wire diagrahm to see where those three are supposed to go?

Sinced it worked fine before the pump started leaking everywhere should I even bother hooking them back up?

On a side note whats a great degreaser since the pump fluid made a mess.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

There should be only one Wire coming from the Alternator into the Harness.. it's a Red Wire and it is the Signal Wire to the Voltage Gauge. They may have burned the wire, wired in a new plug, and were lazy and didn't cut out the extra wires to clean it up. Leave the one that is there, cut the other ones that don't do to anything and clean it up.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

over cleaner. it works awsome
Old 08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
There should be only one Wire coming from the Alternator into the Harness.. it's a Red Wire and it is the Signal Wire to the Voltage Gauge. They may have burned the wire, wired in a new plug, and were lazy and didn't cut out the extra wires to clean it up. Leave the one that is there, cut the other ones that don't do to anything and clean it up.

Thats what I figured after I found a wiring diagram. Took care of it now I need a jump!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Sometimes people wire a new fuel pump direct to the alternator with larger wire to increase fuel pressure. Basically the larger wire reduces the voltage drop so there is more voltage available at the pump (increases fuel pressure). Also I would use Redline power steering fluid along with tennis wrist band around the cap to soak up any overflow.