General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Some General '02 WS6 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some General '02 WS6 Problems

02 WS6 M6, 75,000-ish miles. All stock as far as I know, I've only owned the car for the last 4,000 miles.

1. It pulls left, and on one or two occasions has pulled right. I've had an alignment done and it still pulls. Did the guy who did it not do it right? Are the tires that desperately need replaced to blame, or could it be a combination of both.

2. My passenger's seat shakes. Most noticeable as I'm letting the clutch out from a stop, but the car seems to have a subtle shake to it when I'm breaking or accelerating. A by-product of #1+tires maybe?

3. Rolling at a steady 35mph in 3rd/4th gear (read 1000-1500 rpms. . . ish) the car surges/bucks. If I accelerate or shift up/down, it stops. I'm thinking worn out clutch maybe?

4. Trouble puttting it in first sometimes, pops out of 3rd at low speeds (read: 20-25mph) and the like. General symptoms of a tranny needing to be freshened up I think.

Just looking for some general LS1Tech wisdom on these issues.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

1. swap the front tires from left to right and see if the pull changes direction. If it does you have a tire pull.

2. Could be tires being bad or out of balance. A braking pulsation could be rotors, acceleration shaking could be a u-joint. If it happens from a stop sounds like clutch chatter. Hard to say....

3. Do you have a cam?

4. Could be a worn synchro or clutch problem. If it pops out of gear could be a bent fork or broken key.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. This could also be the normal pull you get from wide front tires on the car. Do you only notice it on uneven roads or all the time. Mine pulls different directions depending on the road condition. No way to correct that.

2. Read my number 3 answer could be related

3. Your lugging the engine and could be seeing a missfire bc a crack in a plug or your wires are needing to be replaced as well. I had this same issue that under load it will miss other then that it's fine. Take a look at your plugs and wires (would be a good idea anyhow at 70+k). If you have a code get it checked.

4. Syncro seems to be worn and maybe a bent fork in 3rd. Like you said probably needs to be refreshed and it'll be fine.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have an aftermarket shifter someone installed,like a B+M or Pro5.0,they may not of adjusted the throw stop bolts well enough.
I just added wider tires and wheels and find the fronts follow road groves more than before.It's different if your not used to it.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Quick replies, thank you.

Some additional info:

1. The pull is an all the time thing, I'll try swapping the fronts today before I leave work and I'll report back.

2. I wrote something long and pointless trying to describe the symptom in finer detail, but I think it'll probably serve us all better if I took a little camera video of my seat doing it's dreaded dance.

3. To my knowledge the car has the stock cam. Other than a lumpy idle what other inspection might I perform to verify that, short of disassembly that is? I'll pull my plugs this afternoon when I swap over my tires and see if anything is wrong.

4. So, anything else besides a new clutch that a 75k mile drive train could need while I'm paying someone to play with the transmission?