General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C issue...

So instead of pulling the condenser up out of the way and kinking the lines, I decided to just pull it. Now when I hooked it all back up and put that **** from the refill can in, no cold air. I'm really not looking to mess with it or trouble shoot something like the air conditioning. Any quick hints I'd be able to check without getting too involved in it and possibly screwing something up (maybe even worse than it is)? I would rather just take something like this to my friend's shop, but figured if it was something obvious I was missing I could have a look at it. Thank you.

-J
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long was the system open?
Did you replace the dryer?
What kind of pressures are you seeing with your gauges?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

1. Open for about 4 hours, enough to pull the cam, put the new one in, and button it all up. (was that too long?)
2. No I didn't replace the dryer (That's the cylindrical thing next to the battery, correct? Should it be replaced in a situation such as this?)
3. I am seeing pressure in the "Full" region on the gauge... sorry but I can't remember the exact pressure. (Pressure when I FIRST hooked up the gauge was in the 0-10 region with Max Recirculated A/C on)

Thanks.

-J

Last edited by lastcall190; 09-15-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most people say that if outside air gets into the dryer, it is shot (yes, its the little metal can thing).. i have never replaced mine though, my compressor was shot and i replaced it, my system was "dry" for about 6 months of normal driving

how many cans of freon did you put in? when i recharged mine, it said full, but after i put another can in (small one) it stayed on full, but the ac came out much colder
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Good to know. Well the can my friend gave me was the bigger one with the fancy gauge and ****. It was about 1/3 full when I got it. I put in not all of it, only because it said "full". Is it possible that maybe I just didn't put enough in? Thanks.

-J
Old 09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Good to know. Well the can my friend gave me was the bigger one with the fancy gauge and ****. It was about 1/3 full when I got it. I put in not all of it, only because it said "full". Is it possible that maybe I just didn't put enough in? Thanks.

-J
are you sure you had your ac on at max and had the can all of the way open?

it shouldnt be full from just 1/3 of a can

mine took a big one and two small cans
Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly... no. I forgot, I put it on Max but the fan was on the slowest. Durr...

The next time, with the fan on full blast and AC MAX, I opened the can slowly, as I had not a clue how fast the system fills up. Knowing how much YOUR car took, I have a better idea. Thanks for the help I'll grab a few of the tiny cans and see what happens.

-J