General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ugh, headlamps flip up in unnecessary situations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh, headlamps flip up in unnecessary situations...

So every time i either unlock or lock my car w/ the FOB, my headlamps love to "blink". Not only that, on the return trip down it is followed by the infamous "GRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNND" noise. Every time my alarm goes off it does the same thing.

Here's the issue though: I've already replaced the gear in the headlamp w/ the sturdy brass one. Ummm, so what is happening?

Every time my alarm is set off they flip... and since my roommate insists on running open headers, it goes off about 2-4 times a day (which i'm sure is killing the motors). Any ideas other than just breaking it apart again cause that's just plain annoying.

Last edited by Vrbas; 10-09-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

The brass gears im sorry to say are not the perfect fix. A few months after installing the brass gear on one mof my failed plastic gears it began to grind again. The best fix i have seen is just to get a new headlight motor if possible. I gave up on it and installed HIDs in my foglights. They don't shine as far as my headlights do, but i don't drive down many dark streets. And if i need to i have the fuse pulled on the headlight that grinds, that way the other light will still pop up if i need to use it.
-Joel
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmmm, i may take your advice. I first wanna figure out the proper diagnosis so I know for sure. Because i JUST replaced that brass gear last summer... i don't see any reason it should be failing now. I mean, the other stock one is working fine it's whole life.

Also, how did it cost for a new motor? And was it easy to install (i mean, i've already busted open that whole unit to replace the gear, is it really much more work)?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your brass gear is now eating its way through the outer set of gears so now it's permanantly FUBAR'ed. You have the choice of getting cheapy ones at autozone or going to a dealer and getting raped but getting a better piece.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Read my sticky..............
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Read my sticky..............
That's the fun part, i've already replaced the gear (i actually used the exact link you quoted in your thread). Is there any way to disconnect the "amperage monitor" you speak of, at least until i fix the stupid headlamp?

Last edited by Vrbas; 10-09-2008 at 08:20 AM.