Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Kook's Headrs, Y pipe SLP Dual,Dual Ldmth 1 cat, Spohn Solid motor mou

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just installed Kook's Headrs, Y pipe SLP Dual,Dual Ldmth 1 cat, Spohn Solid motor mou

Well the first day was just removing the old 2 ton exhaust, What a bitch. Well the only hard part was geting the oem muffler off of the pipe. Then removed rear cross member to lower axle to get out intermediate pipe, then y pipe came out easy, then plugs,wires, then each manifold and cat came out as one piece. [ all you having problems with plugs, a swivel headed pearshaped ratchet works great 3/8. and a long pair of curved needle nose pliers to pull the boot off the plug, grab the boot not the wire,Einstein]twist it before pulling to break seal/suction,
The next day i swapped out the motor mounts. Spohn solids, was alot easier than i thought. Wish i had a 13, 15 mm ratchet wrench. I am a helicopter mechanic. All of my usefull tools are standard. No there is not too much vibration. Only rolling off in first. If you let the clutch out right its almost unnoticeable. I have no pipe banging whatsoever. The engine sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher. I didnt totally remove the steering linkage off the gearbox, just removed the bolt and pryed it up a bit.
Not sure why Kooks reccomended hig temp rtv on each side of the gasket but i did it alone and left most of it on the gasket. You just have to hold your tounge the right way and take deep breaths. Theennn, sectioned the y pipe, before trying to install, put the pieces together and twist them into eachother, cause if you dont you wont be sure if they all all the way into eachother once you have it on the car. Youll know then by the scratches on the inner pipe. This is now the second night. Ive had enough and decided to let the local shop install the catback. Talk about a kick *** sound with the open y pipe. Im definently going to get an electric cutout. The cat back sounds great but sometimes i want to hear that open pipe sound. Sound like a cannon going off when it fires up. Its burning way too much fuel and after two days i got a check engine light. I think my spark plug gap is wrong. Its .040/ Going to goback to .055.
Hope this helps someone. Mounts, one side at a time i did. Got all the bolts started about 1/4 inch then removed one at a time and put loc tite, then tightened the bolts on the front clip first.

Last edited by metalmechanic; 11-04-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job

This must have been the weekend for header installs I put in my Kooks LTs and catted Y-pipe as well. I put the GMMG catback in a few weeks ago. You're right about the sound I love it!!! I have driven mine about 170 miles so far and no check engine light as yet. we'll have to wait and see. I do already have the level 1 Crane/Vinci power programmer tune in it already so I may be good till I do the heads/cam in a few months.

Jman
Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think my sparkplug gap is too narrow. .040
Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Launching!

I am no expert, but that is certainly more narrow than I did mine. I got the MSD wires and NGK TR55 plugs from the sponsors sale section and the recomended gap on those is 55.

Jman
Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would re-gap them to .55, but that is just my .02
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

So where are the sound clips?