Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd Idle Problem. Need Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wierd Idle Problem. Need Help Please.

Ok so basically my car is idling terribly. Basically all was fine until today. But three days ago i decided i had nothing to do so i did what we all do....work on the car. i decided i wanted to port the mass air flow more then it was already, do the egr free mod (where you cut the stem going down into the intake), i didn't want to take the time and remove it at that moment. then i take the mass air flow take it apart and pretty much port the whole thing with a dremel. what i left was just the three wires(stock MAF) or whatever they are with the resistors. i did not touch anything electrical with the MAF at all just the plastic supports. then i decided i wanted my car to scream so i went to take off the muffler. after removing the borla muffler i put the car back together and left just that i-pipe sitting there. that was all that i did and this was three days ago.

anyways wake up in the morning and the car is running super strong like crazy strong. its just wants to run. but then this happens tonight.

i am driving the car and the car is idling like a piece of sh... anyways here is what happens. when at a stop the RPM's will run at 1000-1100 some times, 400-500 just for a second then bounce up. the car seems like it wants to die sometimes but just keeps trudging along. sometimes it will idle normally however (rare but not too rare). then if the car is idling high i tap the gas, and i mean tap, and the revs drop down to like 500, this only happens at idle though. if i am going down the street the car will sometimes rev by itself and the clutch is in and the car is in neutral, it will just start to rise but not go over 2k rpm's. i just fixed one spark plug because it had a misfire but checked the other 7 and they need to be changed as well. i havent plugged it in yet so i have no codes. the car does have 77k and has the delco plugs. also sometimes when i am driving its a little slow, scratch that it is slow with the throttle response. i was thinking that this could be another misfire at a low rpm (whatever cylinder that is i dont know), maybe no back pressure cause of the muffler delete(this doesn't make sense though because long tubes with ORY or true duals would have less backpressure then the stock y and cats) or something else. i really dont no and i really need your help.

and like i said it started three days after i did the "mods". thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard that you never want to mess with the MAF, ever. so maybe since you ported it your tune is off and you will need to get it tuned to idle properly.

but im probably wrong. i dont know for sure.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Launching!

bump for more help thanks twitch
Old 11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGageSS
bump for more help thanks twitch
not a problem but im sure someone will say the same as me.

bump
Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

I would tend to agree that it is more than likely a tuning issue now because of the changes you made in porting, also make sure you don't have some kind of vacuum leak....free revs over 2000 RPMS sounds a lot like a leak to me.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Launching!

egr valve not tightened enough, is was a vac leak thanks for the help guys