Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power diff. w/ cut out open vs. closed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power diff. w/ cut out open vs. closed

Well I finally hit the dyno last night and was kinda stunned at the difference in power with my QTP electric cut out open.

The exhaust consist of this: Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" off each collector, going into a 3" merge leading to a 3" intermediate pipe with a Spin Tech 3" mandrel bend over the axle split in 2.5" tailpipes. I picked up 27 h.p with the cut out open. It doesn't honestly feel that different, but the dyno says other wise.

If I switched to 3" pipes off each header do you all think it would make that big of a difference or just let it ride like it is?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

Whats your mods? That Y-back might be restrictive for your setup, from what I hear spintech is not that great of a muffler.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a restrictive exhaust. For comparison, when I had a cutout on my Hooker setup (Hooker LT, ORY and catback) I only picked up 4rwhp and 7rwtq with the cutout open. Suffice to say I have since removed my cutout.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

built 347, LS2 Heads, custom cam.

I really think its in the Y pipe itself. I've had Spin Techs on several different cars and always noticed a power increase with them over different brand mufflers.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

spintech mufflers suck. i had the crossflow just like you and lost about 4mpg and it fell on its face like stock at about 80mph. and i have just bolt ons. i will never use another one again. i never got mine dynoed but i could feel the difference. granted it sounded good. but thats it. i couldve done better with a stock muffler.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

time to upgrde you Y pipe and get a better flowing c/b IMHO
Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twotonefreak
Well I finally hit the dyno last night and was kinda stunned at the difference in power with my QTP electric cut out open.

The exhaust consist of this: Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" off each collector, going into a 3" merge leading to a 3" intermediate pipe with a Spin Tech 3" mandrel bend over the axle split in 2.5" tailpipes. I picked up 27 h.p with the cut out open. It doesn't honestly feel that different, but the dyno says other wise.

If I switched to 3" pipes off each header do you all think it would make that big of a difference or just let it ride like it is?

I picked up 24 rwhp on the dyno last night too man. I have a feeling that I'm going back to true duals. My exhaust setup is ARH longtubes into an ARH Y with dual cutouts into a 3'' intermediate pipe into an SLP dual dual catback. My car is a 408 though, so I'd say that setup is a little restrictive.