Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump on it's way out... Hesitation at HIGH RPM...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump on it's way out... Hesitation at HIGH RPM...

So yesterday my fuel pump started whining a little... Today it seems worse, I'd say twice as loud as the AIR system... I've read the pump is on its way out, but I wanna make sure of one thing. Today I was going to eat with the wifey, got on it real hard, from about 30, which it pulls so damn hard from, but when it got to 40 it felt like it hit a brick wall... RPM's were slowly climbing, felt like a 4 cylinder... It would come back for a split second strong, but then fall on it's *** again.

I just want to make sure that the hesitation at high RPM is a direct symptom of the fuel pump failing. I would hate to have a bigger issue...

I've been looking at the Walbro FP's, but I want something plug and play... Are the Walbro's? If not should I just get an OEM replacement?

Thanks guys...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

What you describe is consistent with the fuel pump going bad, seen it many times. That would be my guess. Racetronix makes a plug and play kit with Walbro pumps. I have a new GM assembly in the box, PM me if you are interested. The only other thing I could see it being is a charging issue, i.e. not the pump itself but getting good, consistent power and ground to the pump and fuel system. May want to check ALL the grounds too, just to rule that out.

I'd throw a pump at it though, based on what you describe.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before all... change your fuel filter.

But, before you jump the gun on the pump, get a fuel pressure guage on your fuel rail and trail it to your windshield.

Go for a ride and watch the pressure and make sure it's a fuel related issue. the pressure should see 58 all the time and maybe drop 1 - 2 psi when you go WOT.

Once you verify it's fuel related, get a volt meter on the stock harness and check the voltage at the pump. It should be fairly close to what the voltage is at the battery.

If the voltage is low, try just getting a hotwire kit and hooking it up. Our cars are known to lose voltage at the pump after an extended amount of time. Even if this isn't the issue, I'd recommend getting one anyway because eventually it WILL be an issue. Once you have verified the voltage is OK, and the fuel pressure is NOT, then go ahead and look into the pump assembly.

If you verify the pressure to be ok at idle and WOT and you have good voltage, it's time to look at other possible problems. we can go over that if the fuel isnt the issue!

Good luck!