Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 7/8 Kooks on a stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 7/8 Kooks on a stock motor

Hey fellers, need some opinions here. I have the oppurtunity to buy a set of 1 7/8 Kooks headers used. If I were buying the headers new, I would get 1 3/4s for sure. I can save quite a bit of money by buying these used, that is the back ground for my quandry.

I know I will lose some low end torque with the 1 7/8s but I wonder if the better design of the Kooks over say Pacesetter or Jethots would overcome the tube diameter of the 1 7/8 tubes being too large.

Basically, would I be better off with the 1 7/8s Kooks over no headers at all? Let's say I would have gained 30 horsepower and 30 ftlbs of torue with the correct 1
3/4 tubes, how much would I lose by going with the 1 7/8s versus the 1 3/4s?

I really do not care about real low end torque such as from 2 grand up to around 4K rpm. When at the strip, each shift loses only around 2 grand so I would never really be that low in the first place. A stock LS1 with 4.10s has plenty of low end for me, would like to gain well on top though.

So which is it? Buy the used 1 7/8s Kook's or buy a set of JetHotts or Pacesetters? Sorry for the book but I'm really buggin on these headers. Thanks for any opinions.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: 1 7/8 Kooks on a stock motor

Hmmm that's a tough call. I would look at what your future mods might be. If you plan on some type of heads/cam setup or bigger then I'd go ahead and get the kooks. If you're planning on staying a bolt on car then they may not be your best choice at this time. I'm not sure how much of a differance in gains there would be between the two though. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?
Thanks blur, as I said,,,I'm buggin bad.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 1 7/8's Whisper mid-lengths on my stock internals car. Seem to work for me. Are they optimal, probably not, but can't argue with my cars performance.