Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK Shorties

Hey guys I have a LS1 in a 93 RX7 so I am very limited on space. I really want to get some headers to take advantage of the H/C that I am doing. The problem is there is no way LT or even mids will fit on the car. I dont want to spend the $1200 to get custom ones made if I can absolutely help it.

My question is are the BBK shorties gonna help me out? Right now I have stock manifolds from a 2001 LS1 that go to my custom 3 inch single exhaust to the rear of the car. One cat located after the Ypipe and it is high flow . I know the BBK shorties have 1 3/4" primaries is that gonna be a help?

Also do they mount at the same place to the Ypipe?

I really want some headers and they look sweet but is it worth it at all over the manifolds on a H/C car?

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-10-2003, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: BBK Shorties

Ls1 in an RX7? Interesting engine swap.

I currently have Hooker shorties on my car but just finally received the set of BBK's I ordered back in May. I have a little work I want to do yet on the passenger side header. The opening at the flange is sized at just 2 1/4" to fit the stock F-body Y-pipe. I want to open this up to 2 1/2" to make full use of my Bassani Y. After I install the BBK's I will dyno again to see if there is much of a gain going from the 1 5/8" to the 1 3/4" primaries.

I have a pretty mild cam in my setup, but my goal is to get 400 rwhp with shorties and cats and without sacrifices to driveability and excessive noise. Different priorities than yours I am sure but I'll post my results when I get them. These headers have been hard to get and not too many people have them yet. Trojan99TA (on this board)'s car was used as a test mule by BBK and he has reported pretty good results from the headers.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you get any results I would appreciate it. Thanks.

ANyone else?

Mike
Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Jeff, I'm glad you finally got them. What do you think of there design and quality? I cant see too much since they are on the car but they work well for me. Take some pics and post them if you can. Definitely open up the collector, that is the only problem area I see with these as it chokes down from 4 1.75 in pipes to one 2.25 in pipe. But I realized when I did my dual exhaust that they did that because the pipe from the manifold to the stock cat on the passenger side is only 2 in. inside diameter. I cant wait to see your results and hear how the fitment went. I hope you will make at least 10 rwhp gain over what you have. You should be at the 400 mark after dynoing with these and the pulley.

BTW, If your A/F ratio didnt change after you put the hookers on, I bet it will after these. My A/F has been at 12.0:1 since I had mine installed and it was at 13.3 stock. My last dyno was 320hp 335 tq with the shorties, dual exhaust and lid. Not bad for a 98 A4 that did 285 307 stock.