Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors say 98 on one and 97 on another, does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default O2 sensors say 98 on one and 97 on another, does it matter?

I added a cam and long tube headers on my car this week. I did the home modification on my O2 sensors and spliced them with butt connectors but I'm hearing that this can be bad because of the small amount of voltage going through the wires (milivolts?) Since the fronts are already cut I was going to use the ones in the rear. Can I use the ones from the rear on the front or are they specifically made for the rear? Three of them say 98 on the O2 sensor's and the other one says 99. My friend said it made a difference and to put the 98 on one side and the 99 on the other (I don't remember which.) Why does this matter?

What problems exactly would it cause if you spliced them less than perfect? My friend said that the only real problem is using the wrong size wire and having different lengths on the same extension. My car is running so badly right now that I don't know if it is from the cam, headers, removing my AIR and EGR or splicing up my O2's.
If I can't use the rears, do the new O2's from AutoZone come with new wires and clips or just the O2 sensor itself? What should I do? Thanks- Mike.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:09 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: O2 sensors say 98 on one and 97 on another, does it matter?

Ive installed mac headers on mine and went ahead and bought new o2 sensors, but it wasnt needed. At first I tried splicing the wires but then got codes, people say the 02 sensors are very sensitive with cutting a splicing wires on to them. I ended up finding out that I actually had enought wire length after pulling the harness out a little bit. One of my friends installed FLP LTs and he actually used the rear o2 sensors because of the longer length on the front and had no problems with using them. Hope this helps.