Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick Exhaust question

Quick exhaust questions guys. I have Pacesetter long tubes, deleted cats, and a Borla catback. I had the Borla with the wide open plate and it sounded like a redneck car. I then switched to the only other plate I had which was fully closed. Now the car sounds like it did before I even got my headers. Im looking for a more aggressive sound.

Would a different exhaust fix my problem? I have heard people with a Hooker catback, deleted cats, and longtubes sounds good without rasp. I have tried using LS1sounds, but its hard to tell online how they really sound.

Anyones personal input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

if you keep the cats in there it will help eliminate any rasp and would mellow out the full open plate...you could also throw a loudmouth 1 or 2 muffler/resonator on there instead of what you have....IMO the cats will give it a better but still loud and agressive tone
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

well you can change your catback if you'd like. i am sure there is one out there like the hooker or magnaflow that will sound different than the borla does open. a lot of people put cats in, or a muffler in the I pipe to help get the rasp out.

Last edited by bigti99a; 03-16-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: what he said ^^^^
Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Cats are already gone, so I cant throw them back in. So a loudmouth resonator would go where exactly in line?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

I don't agree that it sounds redneck....however it can/does get rather raspy full open ( certain RPM range). Cats or fully closed (plate)definitely reduce the rasp but also detract from the overall sound of the Borla System. I will be adding an XR-1 muffler in the I-pipe or something equivalent to tame it a bit.
I would suggest trying this before changing the entire exhaust system.