Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you put the pulley back on the PS pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you put the pulley back on the PS pump?

I had to get a PS pump from a local junk yard for my 6.0 truck motor. The guy who pulled the pump had a pulley puller to get the pump out. Now I want to install it, but I'm unsure of the correct way to put the pulley back on.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to remember how I did it... I think i got a hammer and carefully tapped it back on... someone verify?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No DO NOT use a hammer on the pulley. You have to have a pulley installer tool. If you use a hammer the pulley will eventually disintegrate and cause a belt to take out a bunch of stuff on its way out . I know this from personal experience a few weeks ago.

The tool just screws into the pulley shaft and then steadily forces the pulley onto the shaft. I'm sure you could make this tool but you can prob rent it from your local auto parts store .
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bjamick
No DO NOT use a hammer on the pulley. You have to have a pulley installer tool. If you use a hammer the pulley will eventually disintegrate and cause a belt to take out a bunch of stuff on its way out . I know this from personal experience a few weeks ago.

The tool just screws into the pulley shaft and then steadily forces the pulley onto the shaft. I'm sure you could make this tool but you can prob rent it from your local auto parts store .
do you remember what size the tool end was? looks like M8, but I tried M8's and they were too small. M10 doesn't fit in the hole. The hardware store doesn't carry M9, I don't even know if it's made in that size. Any chance it's standard?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjamick

now that you mention it... you are right... I remember going to Checker Auto Parts and getting the tool for this job... it wasn't too bad with the right tool...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya dont hammer it i did that and the pulley cracked to hell hasnt torn anything up yet but it split out four cracks from the center and is about to fall off so now i have to do all over again
Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Teching In

I've been told I could use a couple washers, the right size bolt, and an impact gun to put it together. Does everyone agree, and what size bolt would it be?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know the size bolt that will thread inside the shaft. If you can find it then you can prob just use some washers or something and tighten a nut down til the pulley slides into place.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's 3/8"-16 thread, but use a grade 8 stud or you'll break it off inside the shaft! A 2" piece of stud, 2 washers (grease between them) and a nut is all it takes.

Russ