Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues with the new y-pipe..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy issues with the new y-pipe..HELP!!

i finally bought my LT's and installed them last night. i have 2 problems..
1. there is an exhaust leak at one of the connections( closest one after the driver side header connection to the Y)
2. the y pipe plays the drums on the driver side floor panel(the tube with the rear o2 sensor slot in it is the one hitting. i sat underneath the car for about 2 hours just trying to install the Y and i had someone help me. Should I try it again and approach the installation a different way i.e. connect everything first and then try to connect the Y to the headers, or should i try to have an L bracket wielded in.(the only problem with the wielding is that i would like to get the cats when i get some money, but that wont be for at least a couple of weeks. and one more thing....i also dont have a muffler and i want to kill some of the rasp....would it benefit me just as much to get a muffler instead of the cats, or will it not do anything, and if i do what muffler is recomended?? any help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-25-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would always do every connection loose then tighten it all down for best clearances. The bracket idea may be needed if you can not stand the banging. The exhaust leak may be cured if you loosen the band clamp and move its location. If it is a flange I do not have experience with that. As far as your exhaust goes, I would do the bullet idea per your other thread.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Y-pipe banging occurs because the left side of the Y raises with engine torque and because the floor pan has a stiffener reinforcement in the way of the Y pipe. Some people install a poly motor mount on the driver's side to address this problem. I took a different approach; I cut a path through the stiffener, then reinforced the floor pan on top under the carpet.