Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise coming from Engin Compartment After Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Noise coming from Engine Compartment After Header Install

After the header install. I hear this weird knocking type noise from the engine compartment. It sounds external from the engine. I don't hear it @ idle or when I am cruising. Only when under a load. Its not detonation because EFI does not show any.

It kinda sounds like when you rattle a PCV valve. But it is in sync with the engine. It sounds like it is coming from the driver-side.

Any ideas? TIA.

Last edited by Ed LS1 Vert; 10-24-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Are your headesr hitting on anything or looks as if they are to close to hitting? If I remember right the Jet Hot's had an issue sometimes with hitting the k member? May be worth a check to get under the car and look.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:59 PM
wrencher

Maybe an exhaust leak??
Old 10-25-2003, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Are your headesr hitting on anything or looks as if they are to close to hitting? If I remember right the Jet Hot's had an issue sometimes with hitting the k member? May be worth a check to get under the car and look.
Took care of the cross-member. Also pulled down the Y and re-aligned it again. The exhaust is not banging, so that is not it.

But I will check it again. Since it wasn't there before the headers. I guess when I am under a slight load, the engine moves so the exhaust could rattle, then if I give it more gas. The exhaust could rest on the body and not rattle anymore. Hmm....

I don't think it is an exhaust leak, because if I give it more throttle. It goes away.